Corbin Dunn
Redwood Monkey

Plug Bug: Working on repairs…

Electric Bug

It has been just about a year since my 1969 VW electric bug was rear ended. I was driving to work and stopped in traffic, but the gal behind me didn’t stop and squished the bug! Dealing with insurance took months, and I finally got a settlement for the bug, which was deemed totaled. For about $800 I had the opportunity to buy it back as a salvage vehicle, and I snapped up that chance. 

I wasn’t too motivated to work on it…other things came up, and I was enjoying driving my Tesla Model S. But now I’m at the point where I miss driving it, and I want to see if I can make it run again.

The main damage is to the rear deck lid (the engine trunk cover) and the rear apron (seen below in red).

IMG 0010

I ordered new ones from CIP1. I’m going to make the rear apron removable to more easily install the transmission/motor combination. The right fender has some damage, but I’m hoping to be able to pound it out myself and do some quick body work to make it smooth again.

I removed the rear apron by drilling out the spot welds. 

IMG 0025

The other major damage is to the transmission. It is toast. The front nosecone is damaged and leaking oil from a hole. I popped open the casing and the main gears are broken. It needs replacement, but unfortunately the local VW shop is now closed and I have to find somewhere else to get a new transmission. For now, I’ll stick in my old one that makes a lot of noise to see if the motor works well enough.

Another problem is the front transmission mount; it was squished forward. Luckily I was able to buy a new “weld in” one, and I cut the old out. Now I have to figure out how to get it aligned properly before I weld the new one in!

 

 

Previous Post
Video: Wedding Ring from Steel and Pennies!
Next Post
Video: Custom Tap Handle from Redwood and Steel

Leave a Reply

avatar
500
  Subscribe  
Notify of

(c) 2008-2018 Corbin Dunn

Privacy Policy

Subscribe to RSS feeds for entries.

58 queries. 0.334 seconds.

Log in